Re: [T3] Hrmmm, a new Predicament

Ok... some new information for you guys to chew over.
We went out and did the tests that Mr. Adney's FAQ
listed, with some HIGHLY unusual results. About the
only really good thing that came out of it was that I
now know that the indicator light isn't shorting. When
I did the first test, I initially got a reading of
12.35v between the fusebox and ground. This value
dipped to 11.4v while I was starting the car, but it
quickly jumped back to 12.3 once the engine was
running. Giving it a little gas, the reading rose to a
max of 12.8v after I pushed the pedal down about a
third of the way. After shutting off the engine, my
voltmeter only registered 5v. I removed the
connections and reapplied them, just to make sure, and
got readings anywhere from a min of 2.3v to 8.1 volts.
Somewhat perplexed and confused by these levels, we
moved on to the generator test. This one was the real
kicker; we performed the test twice, about five
minutes apart. Each time, the voltmeter only read 1.2v
EACH TIME! When revved, the reading only reached
1.27v! The screw was in place, and the brushes are
brand new. Stamped on the generator housing is
"rebuilt NY22." A final bit of information; the
generator was HOT. Extremely so. It seems odd, seeing
as how the engine had only been run maybe 5 minutes in
the past hour and a half.
Hopefully this helps you figure out what exactly is
going on, 'cause I haven't a clue.

Thanks for all your help,
-Kurt
'71 AT Square, Tyria
'73 Superbeetle, "Toast" or "Shorty", depending on who
is talking