RE: [T3] Browsers was Engine Parts

> > On 28 Jul 2003 at 18:57, Russ wolfe wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, but web sites don't have to be that way. If the owner
> > of the site
> > > cared, they would accept all browsers.
> >
> > They still have to know enough to realize that there are
> > compatability issues.
> > I've got a very smart student working for me who noticed that
> > I use Opera, so
> > he asked me to look at his web site. Turned out that not
> > everything he did
> > worked with Opera. He had just tried it with IE and Netscape.
> > Needless to say
> > he was annoyed because he THOUGHT he'd been careful. The only
> > way to be totally
> > compatable is to either check with every available brouser,
> > or keep things very
> > simple. I would prefer the latter as the fancy stuff just
> > takes longer to
> > download, without any increase in real content.

This is not meant as a flame, but I've gotta point out some mistakes
in the last post. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

> I know we have to move onto Type 3 content but I have to get my 2 cents
in.
> Even though most people have issue with Microsoft, IE is really the most
> progressive in terms of what it can handle from a sites script, including
> javascript, html, perl etc.

Perl is nothing to do with the browser, It's purely a server language, no
Perl is interpreted by IE or Mozilla or Netscape or Opera or any browser.
The only thing that IE has that others don't in terms of scripting is
VBScript support, which is a non-standardised language infereior to
Javascript
anyway.

> Netscape has not kept up with the times and
> does not support all the scripting that IE does, it can't even read some
> basic html tags.

You mean the basic HTML tags that were added by Microsoft in IE only ?
Thus extending the 'standard' and inventing an 'MSIE-standard'
If you want something truly standards compliant try Mozilla Firebird
(www.mozilla.com) or Amaya (www.w3c.org). Amaya is written by the people
that define HTML and other web standards, hence it's pretty standards
compliant ;)

> As a web developer you really what to be able to use the
> latest technology on your pages and other browsers just don't support all
> the scripting available.  This is especially true with the portal
technology
> that most buisness' are using, it takes complex sql and database scripts
> keep track of orders, inventory etc.  You need the latest software to read
> these scripts.

and all of that software is run on the server, NOT the browser, you can have
dynamic SQL driven complex site that is still readable in Lynx
(http://lynx.browser.org/) if you want.

> BTW, Opera is based on the IE engine.

Erm, No it's not, not at all, how else does it run on Linux, Mac, iTV
and Embedded Devices.

Don't mean to rant, but IE is NOT the most standards compliant browser, in
fact
there are many browsers I rate much higher than IE.

Chris (Web Developer)