Re: [T3] New (to me) squareback...

<x-flowed>On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 10:27  PM, Jim Adney wrote:

On 28 Jul 2003 at 23:35, Matthew Willis wrote:

Thanks for the ID. I began reading Muir on where some of this stuff
actually went in the car and the theory of J-Tronic, etc. (The Bentley
is backordered at Amazon) From the yellow sticker on my control unit,
it looks like someone had VW exchange control units for them in some
exchange program. Anyway, where might I be looking on the car for the
other missing parts? I can take pictures ;)

Our cars have the first of the Bosch Jetronic FI systems: the D-Jetronic.

Sorry. My mistake. :)

What's the number on your ECU? I don't recall ever seeing a yellow sticker.

311.906.021.B - The sticker says "Exchange Program" and some other parts in other languages. Here's a pic:
http://homepage.mac.com/mattwillis/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/ 2003-07-27%2009.54.31%20-0700/Image-C34CCF9FC05211D7.jpg

The AAR is mounted on the engine, just to the right of the distributor. For 68-
9 the engine temp sensor took the place of the front stud that holds the AAR to
the case. The cyl head temp sensor mounts to the left head. Originally it was
just under the #4 exhaust valve, but later it was moved to near the #4 spark
plug hole. If your head has been replaced you may not have a place for it
anymore. That can still be fixed, but it means more work.

That's enough to start hunting! Thanks!

Cleaned some connections and now wiggling the key helps. What's the
"well-known" cure for that? Wiggle the key and smile? ;)

This usually means that your ignition switch needs to be replaced. What year do
you have?

1968, delivered in Feb 68. Know any good sources for these?

Last night I put a new connector on the radio antenna, finishing the AM radio reinstall, pulled both left wheels and checked those brakes. Do folks have a preference as to where they get brake parts and what parts they get? I'm skeptical that my LAPS will have the parts, and if they do, they'll be El Cheapo Crapo brand.

Oh, also figured out that someone had put a 21W lamp in the tail light, thereby melting the inside of the lens <sigh>. Got that lamp switched out. I don't know what they were thinking either since the other side had a 5W lamp...poor-man's rear fog? :)

Bentley should show up today, but I'm still waiting on the friggin' Customs paperwork to be able to register her. Laps in the apartment complex are no longer enough... :)

Thanks for the help!

-lilmatt