Re: [T3] ok, i'm stupid.......but

Balog family wrote:
>could somebody tell me what that little round hole is at the base of the
rear quarter panel just in front of the rear tires?

Its for the rear torsion bar access. Its only held on by one 6mm screw
(actually a nut), and a large washer on the inside. The lower moulding hides part of
it.

>reflector housing?  vw logo space?  round hole to annoy idiots like me?

No, No, Yes : )

>one side of my 72 SQBK has it bondo'd, sanded, and painted over.

This won't hurt anything, although there might be rust hiding under it, which
is a bigger concern.

>also, did they ever make SQBK's without the panel trim?

Yes, the dealers would stock this for repair work. I had a 73 here earlier
this year that only had the lower holes on the rear fender. After much
discussion and a little trial and error I found that the holes are 11/64ths inch for
the small plastic clips to fit into (thanks Jim and Russ).

>how difficult would it be to install?  (drill the holes, pop in the clips
>and slide in the trim?)

The hard part is getting everything lined up like you want it. What I mean by
that is ALL the body lines should be good first (front fender to door, and
door to rear fender, both sides) then you need to decide where you want the trim
placed. I've found that 20 mm ( or 3/4") down from the sharp body line will
get you very close to stock. But you can put them where ever you want. There
should be 6 holes on the front fender, 5 holes on the door, and 7 holes on the
rear fender. The PO might have just bondoed these over, or he might have welded
them first, in which case drilling your own holes will be easier. It might be
worth looking to see which method was used. The trim then just pops on,
although it will slide into it final position, its generally placed where its going
to be and snapped in place. I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       69 Squareback-AT - the baby suburban
       71 Squareback- undecided, but about to become something : )