Re: [T3] Off and On Acceleration

On 28 Jul 2003 at 12:20, Joel Beutel wrote:

> Hello my name is Joel and I am new to the list, I hope
> I am posting this properly.

Welcome to the list Joel. You posted just fine.

> I have a 1970 Squareback automatic, it
> is fuel injected. I have a problem that after the
> engine warms up the car will not accelerate from a
> stand still properly. When I press on the gas the car
> just sits for a few seconds and then takes off fast.
> When the engine is cold acceleration is normal and
> methodical.

First check the ATF level. The AT fluid should be between the dipstick marks
with the engine running in N or P.

Then check to make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are correct when the
engine is warm. It's possible that these were set with the engine cold and the
idle speed was high. This could actually give you the wrong timing.

Finally, grab the dist rotor and twist it CW. It should turn smoothly for a bit
and then run into a hard stop. When you release it, it should snap back
instantly. If there is any roughness here or hesitation, the dist may have to
be rebuilt to free up the mechanical advance. You should put a couple of drops
of oil on the felt pad in the top of the dist shaft first, however, just to see
if this helps.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org