[T3] T3 Electrical Woes

Well, I have checked the headlights with the motor
off, with odd results. It seemed that if I turned them
on quickly (pulled the knob out like I normally do,
with a short, quick motion) the dash lights went out.
If I turned them on slowly, the headlights came on and
the dash lights stayed on. I feel that I must say that
I had to hold the key in the ON position to do any of
these tests; there is a very small spot in the turn
where it will send voltage (I'm still waiting for the
switch I ordered to come in, so I can replace it).
Also, I have checked all the wires I can think of
against ground with a multimeter, but I can't find any
shorts (and I know shorts; they are what are causing
me to have to replace the wiring harness in the
beetle!).
So, what new possibilities have light shed upon them
by this information?

My voluminous thanks!
-Kurt
"Magnet for Electrical Troubles"