From: Kurt Nolte [mailto:rockclimbre241@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 10:29 AM
To: type3-d@vwtype3.org
Subject: [T3] T3 Electrical Woes

> My guess is that this indicates a bad connection
> somewhere. It could be in or
> near the fuse box or in the ignition switch itself.
> I suspect that what's
> happening is that the extra current drawn by the
> lights causes a voltage drop
> in a place that affects the ignition, so that the
> voltage availble for the
> ignition drops below that necessary to generate a
> spark.
 This might be it, as I still haven't received the
replacement switch yet to put it in.
> If you just turn your headlights on without the
> engine running, do they work or
> are they very dim?
For some reason, my headlights don't come on at all
when the engine is off. I can turn on running lights,
but not headlights
> Another possibility is that there is a short in the
> lighting circuits so that
> they draw too much current. Do they cause a fuse to
> blow?
No, no fuses blow when the lights are on. They all
seem to be in working order.

> Pull the knobs off. Then you can see the hex nuts
> that hold the radio in its
> mount. There is also a rear support that needs to be
> loosened so that the radio
> can be tilted down at the back and pulled out of the
> mount.
I got most of it, but I think I forgot about the Hex
nuts behind the knobs. that would explain why it
wouldn't move.

Thanks for the help so far
-Kurt
"Magnet for Electrical Problems in Carsh"

---