[T3] a little advise from those in the know..........

hey all!  i gotta problem and needed the vast expertise of the type III org!
i'm in okinawa japan right this second and scheduled to return December of
next year.  when i went home last november, i bought a 72 squareback.  it's
a manual, runs, (barely) the body's in good shape, but the interior's a
nightmare.  i've since left it w/ a reputable dealer in eastern north
carolina but my dilimma is this:  i can't work on it myself b/c i'm stuck in
okinawa working for the good-ole USMC.......(errr GREAT job!  Marines ALWAYS
keep it interesting)  that said, i'd like to have a road-worthy vehicle to
drive when i get home.  i'm currently having my mechanic focus on the
engine, brake lines, steering, wiring, lights, etc.  after he's finished,
he's refered me to a good body man who'll bust-some-rust, set the paint,
etc.  i plan on doing the interior when i get back but seeing's how i can't
be there to work on it myself, i'd like your advise on some specific things
to focus on.  i get the feeling that my mechanic (although exceptionally
able) prefers very specific instructions.  i grew up on VW's.  my Pop's
worked at a dealership in the mid 70's thru mid 80's and was always bringing
home "sidework" for me to help him on, so it's been a long time since i've
been in the repair scene.  i'd like to ask for any insight, guidance, or
direction that i could pass to my mechanic?  any info you could pass would
be greatly appreciated!  thanks for your time!

Dave