RE: [T3] spark plug spit out

On 22 Jul 2003 at 17:18, Kevin Guarnotta wrote:

> When I tried to put the spark plug back in-it hit something right inside the
> engine tin. So I stuck my finger in there to see if I could feel anything.
> There was a stud sticking up-so I grabbed it, and turned it (the stud) until
> I unscrewed it completely. When I got it out and examined it-it was a stud,
> with a nut in the middle. I did not touch the nut, I unscrewed this thing by
> turning the stud. I believe it is a 10 mm stud, but I will need to measure
> it when it arrives via tow truck later...

The only thing that I can think of is that this is part of one of the head
studs. That's the only thing of that size (a 10mm stud would have nuts with
15mm across the flats) in that area. The only problem is that the head studs
are ~10" long and they wouldn't come out this way. You'll have to tell us
whether this is part of something longer that has broken off, or if is just a
stray stud that got left in there accidentally. Both options seem pretty
unlikely to me, however.

If you look at the head stud tightening drawings in the Bentley manual, ch. 3,
pg 19, you can see the relative locations of the studs to the spark plug holes.
You should even be able to stick a finger in there and feel the head nuts and
see if one is missing. If you're not sure, feel around a different SP port for
comparison.