Re: [T3] Electrical snafu

On 22 Jul 2003 at 23:19, Daniel Baum wrote:

> However, if this were the case, would the fuse still blow even if the
> shifter was not in neutral and the starter was disconnected? Mine does, and
> that's why I was thinking there must be a short somewhere.

Errr..., ahh, no. I had to go back and re-read your post. I see now that I read
that part wrong.

Let's take this one step at a time.

When the fuse blows, does this stop the starter from turning over any more? If
so then something is wired wrong, because there should be no fuse in the
starter circuit.

BUT, if this fuse still blows even with your car out of N, then you've got a
short somewhere and it's probably a good thing that you're blowing fuses.
Otherwise you might be burning up wires.

I'd start by finding and fixing the short first.

I recently saw a cute automotive electric trick. When you have a situation that
is starting to eat up fuses, make up a little harness with a 10A automotive
self-resetting circuit breaker, some wire and a couple of alligator clips.
Remove the fuse and clip the breaker across the fuse clips. This way you will
just trip the breaker, which will reset itself.

Then it's just a matter of removing suspects until only the culprit is left.
Disconnect any other wires that might be on that circuit. Then start
eliminating parts of the offending circuit until you find the short. Testing
this with the shift lever not in N was a very good start. I would look in the
area around the ignition switch. I think it might be easy to pinch a wire in
there in a 69.