RE: [T3] IS IT SAFE???

>I'm debating on what to do with my '73 fasback. The wheel wells are
rotted
>through in places and the pan is rusting on the edges in some areas.
I've
>heard stories about the axles breaking loose on Volkswagens due to
rust.
>I'm really concerned about the safety of this car since my wife will be
>driving it. How do I know if it's safe? I was thinking of trying to
>fabricate some patch panels and welding them in, but I don't know if
>it's worth the effort.

I could be wrong, but I believe rusted wheel wells would be mostly a
cosmetic thing, I don't think they'd have a significant impact on the
structural integrity of the car, though you'd probably want to weld them
up to keep water out of your interior when driving in the rain.

I have never hear of axles breaking loose, maybe someone with more
experience can speak up, but that seems very highly unlikely to me.