RE: Ben's wonky valve (was RE: [T3])

On 18 Jul 2003 at 11:20, Ben Wampler wrote:

> Okay, pulled them out, they both look normal, not bent or deformed in
> any way. Also they were the same length as the rods in the #1 cyl, so I
> don't think they're the wrong pushrods. One of them had a scuff mark,
> but it didn't look that bad. I went ahead and swapped them with the
> pushrods on the #2 with the #1 and did the valves again.

Something else I should have told you to check was the length of the valve
stems. With the rockers out of the way you can lay a ruler or straightedge
against the tail ends of the 4 valves and see if they all seem to stick out the
same amount. Actually, the intake valves (the 2 in the middle) are a bit longer
so they should stick out farther. The difference is less than 1mm, IIRC.

> One other question, could no power be a product of fouled spark plugs? I
> realized I haven't replaced them in years.

It's possible, but this would be an ignition problem which you should feel as
an irregular miss. I suppose one of them could be so bad that it NEVER fired,
so you might not notice it as a miss.