[T3] productive morning/lubing abrake adjusting stars

Well just wanted to report some progress on my '71 squareback. The rear
brake adjusting stars would never move(since I got it) and the emergency
brake never really seemed to grab well, unless I really cranked on it.

So today I took the rear drums off, looked at the adjusting stars, and they
were either rusted in their holes, or the adjusting bolt was rusted to it.
So a lot of penetrating lubricant later, everything freed. I put some wheel
bearing grease in the hole that the star thing goes in, and some anti-seize
on the threads of the bolt that goes in the adjusting star thing.

Two things I noticed-

1)on the drivers side there was only one bolt holding the drum on(as opposed
to two), and most of the three remaining bolts, two of the heads were pretty
mangled. So I replaced all four with bolts from the hardware store, with a
regular head, so I can take them off with a socket set, instead of needing
an allen wrench.

2)on the drivers side the springs that hold the brake shoe on.their was only
a retaining washer on the outside, and on the passenger side there were two,
one on either side of the spring. I couldn't fathom why one way would work
better than the other-so I reinstalled as taken apart.

After all the work-approximately 5 hours(too long, but that included a trip
to the hardware store, and also trying to fix the phone wiring on my house,
as my downstairs neighbor was complaining of static)

-kevin

'65 kombi

'71 squareback

Somerville, ma