[T3] Won't start -- advice, please!

Sammy, our '69 FI AT SB wants to start but just can't quite seem
to do it.  Due to unforeseen circumstances, the car hasn't been run
for about four months (my bad, I know -- no reprimands, please).

In looking through e-mails I've saved and through the archives, I've
seen similar starting problems and have tried some of the suggestions.
Here's what's going on now:
-Engine turns over but just won't grab.
-There is gas in the tank.
-While turning the key on, both clicks can be heard.
-The buzz near the RF tire can be heard between the two clicks.
-The series of clicks as the throttle is slowly pressed down can be
  heard from the engine.  The clicks can also be felt in the actual
  accelerator pedal.  Are those the clicks I should be hearing/feeling?
-What do we check next?

There is a Vintage VW Weekend coming up this weekend and we'd
sure like to get Sammy up and running so we may attend -- to say
nothing of getting Sammy back on the road again!

We're (me and my daughter) not mechanics by any means but we're
willing to give repairs a try -- given explicit directions.  Yes, we do have
the Bently manual.  Any help from y'all would be appreciated.  Thanks!

~Vicki and Bonnie in Seattle