Re: [T3] Spin

On 15 Jul 2003 at 20:15, Daniel Baum wrote:

> The bad news is that it popped a lot from the exhaust as it I accelerated. I
> didn't feel any kind of loss of power or bucking as it popped, the ride was
> quite smooth. The equation seems to be"more advanced timing = more power but
> more popping". Last time I only heard one pop during the entire journey, but
> it felt more sluggish. Maybe I should just experiment with different timing
> settings till I get it right?

More advance will give you more power, but too much advance will damage the
engine, so there's a moth and flame component here. You want it set up so that
the max advance (with full throttle) will be 28-32 deg (you can have 40 deg
while crusing with part throttle.) This is where dist advance curves come in
handy.

Pops in the exhaust generally mean that the engine is running rich, or that a
cylinder is miss firing: You need SOME explanation for why there is unburned
gas getting into the exhaust system. Once the petrol gets into the exhaust
there are several ways that it can be ignited.

It is possible that getting better performance from your engine led you to more
"spirited" driving which used the throttle pump more, leading to more gas
pumped into the engine.