Re: [T3] Cooling Concerns

On 13 Jul 2003 at 5:20, Chris J Valade wrote:

>         When I was trying to figure out how to install my new oil bath
> air cleaner I was told that the oval port connected to a similar oval
> port, which is a part of the body of the car, via a rubber boot I noticed
> that the port on the body of the car looked as if it had been wielded
> shut, but it turned out that a plastic (or thin metal) piece had been
> clamped and glued on with some sort of adhesive.  Shortly after I had
> taken a chisel to this piece and removed it (I am still working on
> removing all the adhesive) I noticed that a nearly identical port was
> poking out of the body centered between where the engine carrier is
> located on the right side.

This kind of sound like someone went to a lot of trouble to move the intake air
port. This would be useful on a car that had AC added to it, since the air
cleaner has to be turned on those cars and the AC compressor is in the way of
the OE air passage.

I've never seen one done like this, but it seems possible. Are there any signs
that this car ever had AC?

>         I was looking at the water drain flaps and noticed that the left
> one doesn't seal completely and looks a little short height-wise and I
> believe this to be because the rubber seal is very dry and cracked.  The
> one on the right is also very dry and cracked, but it appears to seal
> much better.  Bentley's says to make sure that neither of the seals are
> cracked so as to make sure that no dust, or minimal dust, is allowed into
> the cooling system.  Should I worry about this?

It's not super important, but it's probably best that these seal so that dusty
air not get sucked up for cooling & combustion. I probably have some decent
ones here.

>         Generally though, I would like to know what sort of precautions,
> changes, etc. I should do to safeguard my car from the 120F+ (47C+) heat
> in Vegas? 115F is pretty usual for a part of the summer, but some years
> (such as this) we hit 120 and even above. right now I have W40 oil in the
> engine and will change to W30 when it the temperature goes down into the
> range that the owner's manual indicates for W30.

Yours are probably the most extreme conditions this engine might ever expect to
see, but I think it will be just fine if everything is there, put together
right, and kept in proper adjustment. My type 3s have been thru 112F weather in
Death Valley and Wyoming, driving for hours on end at 70mph with no problems. I
suspect that the hardest thing for an engine under these circumstances would be
climbing, and that standing and idling over hot pavement for long periods would
be tough, too. Cruising at highway speeds on the flats should be no problem at
all.