Re: [T3] Stuck Piston Pins

On 12 Jul 2003 at 20:13, Aaron Clow wrote:

> Anyone know a good method to get out stuck piston pins? I tried a
> socket with a rubber mallet, tried the screwdriver/mallet technique.
> They won't come out. I'm not rebuilding the bottom end, and I don't
> want to ruin the connecting rods... Can I? Seems like I'll have to pound
> awfully hard to get them out. The first one came out fine. The last
> three are giving me fits.

Warming them helps. You can use a propane torch for this, but you will need
some gloves to keep from burning your hands in the process. Yes, you usually
have to pound pretty hard, so I stuff some rags behind the piston so that some
of the force is taken by the head studs.

> I also found out two things that might have been causing my compression
> problems on #3. The top ring was split, and also someone had lost a
> spark plug between the cylinders. I suppose if it was setting just
> right, I could have been torquing the top end down on it, as the top of
> it was against a cylinder fin and the base was against the case.

The broken ring was probably your problem. Finding lost spark plugs in there is
not that unusual and is seldom a problem.