Re: [T3] Diff oil

On 12 Jul 2003 at 18:13, Daniel Baum wrote:

> I _finally_ managed to get the fill plug out of my differential today. I've
> been trying, on and off, for about 18 months. The winning strategy was to
> put all of my extensions together to make one about a yard long so that I
> could press down on my big flex handle from outside of the car.
>
> Anyway, as soon as I got it open oil started gushing out.
>
> It smells as if ATF has been leaking into it. Is this possible? And if so,
> how do you fix it? I bet it's a big job.

Look at the not at the note in the Bentley manual, AT chapter, top of page 31.
I have no experience with this, but I THINK this is the seal that is supposed
to keep the 2 fluids separate.

> Should I give up driving the car, even short distances, until I get this
> fixed? I really don't want a blown final drive. That would probably put the
> car on the scrap heap.

I would think that you could drain what is in there and install the proper
stuff: Dexron for the ATF and GL-5 for the final drive. Then I'd keep an eye on
the final drive level just to see if the final drive continues to fill itself
up. ATF disappearing without a trace would be another bad sign.

Has your AT been requiring regular topping off? If so, this is where it's been
going. If not, there is always the possibility that a PO just put the wrong
stuff in the final drive.