Re: [T3] POR-15 rust repairs

In a message dated 7/12/03 5:11:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
eggmeg@netzero.net writes:

<< The instructions that come with the POR 15 states,"POR-15 is fully
compatable with fiberglass. It will adhere better than polyester resin and has better
strength.Use also with fiberglass cloth to make super strong surfaces in
rusted out areas.POR-15 doesn't contain styrene and thus cannot melt fiberglass
cloth like resin does." I hope they are honest in their advertising because I
used it on pinholes, the battery seam and the seam around the wheel well. It
worked good and seems to be setting hard so hopefully I will be able to lay tar
boards and carpet by monday.Good luck with your repairs. >>
 Both John J. and I have done this with success. I was mainly concerned with
my rear deck area (between the rear seat and the engine lid) as mine was very
perforated, and very thin where it hadn't rusted thru yet. I also used it on
my main floors, because I had a lot of small holes in different spots too. Its
been holding up very well for almost 9 months, as I did mine like this back in
December. You should be able to lay the tarboards and carpet on monday
though. Did you give it a 2nd coat like POR recommends? If not I would, as you only
really need to wait about 2-3 hours to do so, and it actually makes the POR 15
stronger. I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       69 Square AT-the baby suburban