Re: [T3] coil fell off!

On 11 Jul 2003 at 0:03, Parker-Durost wrote:

>     The U shape of the bracket looks like it should bolt on both
> sides, but only the right side is under the generator mounting bolt.
> The car was converted to 12V generator by the PO.  I've seen the coil
> in to the right of the generator on 6v cars, but mine is to the left.
> The left side of the bracket sticks out off the end of the shroud....
> How do the 12V coils normally mount?

I'm not sure which bracket you're talking about: There are two. There is the
Omega-shaped one that actually wraps around the coil, and there is the squarish
U-shaped one which has 2 threaded holes on top of it for mounting the Omega-
shaped one to it, as well as 2 slots on the sides.

The latter one should straddle the fan housing at the top, with one of the
threaded holes which bolts the fan housing halves together aligned with the
slots. Then you need an extra long bolt which passes thru the bracket, both fan
housing halves, the other side of the bracket and a nut on the far side.

I think these were always mounted to the left side of the generator, although
early cars didn't have this bracket at all: The coil mounted directly to the 2
threaded holes in the upper left cooling tin.

I have some of the U-shaped brackets if you need one.

>     I looked at a wiring diagram, why wouldn't the coil wire be fused?

For some reason VW never did this. I can only guess that they didn't want to
take a chance on a fuse blowing and bringing a car to a stop, but I agree that
this seems strange, when the alternative may be so much more destructive.

Consider yourself lucky.