Re: [T3] coil fell off!

<x-flowed> >> there, voltage regulator was HOT!

>How come your VR is under the dash?

No it's under the seat, that was my next stop on the search. I can't say what a VR is supposed to feel like, but it was too hot to hold for more than a few seconds.

>> taped it, flipped the bracket to the good side, bolted it back
>> together and was on my way in 20 minutes!

>Good side? Both sides are supposed to be bolted down. That will keep it from
>breaking in the first place.

The U shape of the bracket looks like it should bolt on both sides, but only the right side is under the generator mounting bolt. The car was converted to 12V generator by the PO. I've seen the coil in to the right of the generator
on 6v cars, but mine is to the left. The left side of the bracket sticks out off the end of the shroud.... How do the 12V coils normally mount?

>> What's the most likely thing smoking under the dash, all the big
>> red wires look fine, ignition switch works, etc. Where should I look?

>Since your +12V ignition wires shorted to ground, the most likely things are
>the ignition switch and the wires leading to/from it.

I looked at a wiring diagram, why wouldn't the coil wire be fused? Seems risky for all the engine compartment wiring to be unfused. My precious '66 ignition still works, must have found a weaker link to smoke.

Peter Parker
'66 Square; Phillip
Portland, OR