[T3] coil fell off!

<x-flowed> I heard a strange clunk in the back after leaving work tonight. Thought maybe I'd flung a rock in the wheel well or something. I guess I'm not as paranoid as I used to be.
Anyway w/in a 1/4 mile of home the car lurched once, then twice, no power. Pushed in the clutch and restarted while holding speed, got going for a second and then dead again. Rollled over to the side, and noticed smoke coming from behind dash! Couldn't see what it was under there, voltage regulator was HOT! Went to the back before I tore apart the dash, popped the lid and the coil was hanging by spark line! The bracket had clear broke through, I had noticed it vibrating excessively before but didn't think much of it. The electric choke wire was fried down to the wire, so I electrical taped it, flipped the bracket to the good side, bolted it back together and was on my way in 20 minutes! Ha ha ha, that's why I'm not paranoid, I've got tools and pretty much have a good attitude. This was the whole reason I got an air-cooled and started wrenching, I want to be the master in this relationship. Bring it on Phillip, let's dance!
What's the most likely thing smoking under the dash, all the big red wires look fine, ignition switch works, etc. Where should I look?

Peter Parker
'66 Square; Phillip (aka Herbie for the races this weekend)
Portland, OR