Re: [T3] Fuel tank breathing and fill up difficulty

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 19:04, C.Rochambeau wrote:
> Hey volks,
>
> For some time now I've gauged the "coolness" factor of any given gas station attendant by
> their ability to gas up my car without having the nozzle kick off due to back pressure.
>
> I just read Jim Adney's comments on the charcoal cannister: "It is almost certain that
> none of this is working anymore. The steel lines that
> connect the parts together have all rusted closed inside decades ago. <snip>
> Then you can run a small tube down there about 4" which will make a nicely
> protected tank vent."
>
> Would this tank vent system eliminate the pressure that is tricking the nozzle
> into "thinking" that the tank is full?

I assume that your car is new enough that the filler is on the front
fender. If this is the case, the lines Jim is refering to will not mess
you your filling. What Jim was refering to was the small (about 1/8" ID)
line that comes off the left rear corner of the tank, and goes out under
the left front fender.
This hose can be rerouted from the corner of the tank, up high by the
left hood hinge, and then forward along the side of the tank, through
the bulkhead to the tire well, where you should find a hole in the body
next to the spare tire well. This hole goes out under the car beside the
spare tire, if it should vent some fuel.
The reason for the high loop by the hinge, is to keep it from syphoning
if "They" should overfill your tank.
All this small line does, is let air back into the tank as you draw fuel
out of the tank.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT