From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: RE: [T3] AT adjustment
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:27:11 -0500

On 6 Jul 2003 at 10:09, Gary Gamboa wrote:

> Okay, I adjusted the screw in the VM by turning CCW. At first I turned it a
> 1/2 turn, drove it, then another 1/2 turn. I did this about 8 times until
> the screw was almost to the rim of the opening. The only real difference I
> could tell is a significant drop in power and acceleration, still clunking.
> I'll try turning CW next. Did someone mention the effect of CW and CCW on
> shift points?

Turning the VM modulator adjustment CW should move the upshift points upwards.
If adjusting it doesn't seem to have any effect, it is possible that the VM is
damaged. VW says that if the VM can gets bent then they won't function right,
and it'e easy for these to get bent if the AT is removed because of where it is
mounted.

I find that the screw is generally recessed quite a bit. It's actually pretty
easy to adjust these by the book if you have a suitable pressure gauge. Once
you install the gauge the adjustment is simple. The Bentely manual has the
details.

Exactly when is it that you feel a clunk? Upshift or down? 1 to 2, or 2 to 3?

> The VM hose is 1/4 fuel line. Is this correct?

Anything that fits is fine here. I suspect that the original was 7mm or 7.5mm
ID, which is right in between 1/4" and 5/16".

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org