Re: [T3] Rear Torsion Bar Tube

<x-charset UTF-8>Norm wrote:
>What I have right now is a pan and the rear torsion bar assembly ready to be
>cleaned, cut and welded. But hereâs the question Iâve never seen this
>discussed or mentioned in any of the manuals I own.
>Can I remove torsion bar tube assembly with the shock mount,  transmission
>mounting fork and wishbone pan connection from the pan?

Yes, it unbolts with 2 larger ones from underneath. and the plate with 4
bolts holding it to the pan (there are 2 more that go to the body, but you've
already removed them).

>I have a 68â square with a swing axles.  It looks like the torsion bar tube
>is held on by 2 bolts and thereâs a swivel tube connection holding the
>wishbone to the pan.  Thereâs 4 bolts there that I can see.  Anything
>special I would need to know here?  Is it worth my time?

Yes its worth your time, as now you can clean and repaint it all. Just don't
try taking apart the rear torsion bar assembly, as it will be very hard to
reassemble it without the rest of the car to give you some weight to put it back
together, and it CAN HURT YOU if you're not careful.

>My motivation here is only make the pan lighter and easier to maneuver and
>hopefully fit in the back of a pickup to take to the welders.

Yes, this will work too, but you might want a friend to help you load it. Its
not that its heavy, but rather bulky.

>The searchable archive here is still the best thing that ever happened to
>me.  My motivation is high, my patience is good, Iâm having fun.

I don't think anyone has ever written a how to restore your type3 book yet,
as we're a smaller segment of the VW community. I know I've done a couple, and
Jason has been documenting his 62 Notch on the Samba, and I'm sure there are
others too. You best friend for doing any kind of restoration on a type3 will
be the Bentley manual, as they break it down very well. Even on our Roadster
Project we used the Bentley (68 to 73), even if its for a newer car than what we
have (a 65). If you run into any snags just ask here, as this is the next
BEST SOURCE to the Bentley, after all we have Russ, Jim and Dave Hall who have
been working on these cars since they were new. And they've probably run across
most anything you would have problems with, or any of the others here who have
been keeping their cars around for a few years like myself (14 and still
going). I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       69 Square AT- the baby suburban
       65 Roadster project- formerly a cut up Square (no type3s were harmed
in its construction as it was built from junk parts)-now running on its own