Re: [T3] Red Wire

On 4 Jul 2003 at 21:13, Gary Gamboa wrote:

> >Did you check to see that this red/red wire now has 12V on
> >it ONLY when the engine is running? Does your idle come down now, as the
> >engine
> >warms up?
>
> The car used to rev very high after the car had warmed up, so much so, that I
> suspected my throttle of getting stuck open. This does not happen anymore. I
> will check it with the volt meter. I am new to using one, but I need to learn.

Getting familiar with your voltmeter is a very useful thing.  ;-)

> >Good again, except that this doesn't serve the rear window defogger. I just
> >noticed a couple of days ago that this was incorrect in the Bentley. The
> >defogger power comes right off the voltage regulator and over to the relay,
> >both of which are right under the back seat.
>
> RWD is hard to test with no fog, I guess you can breath heavily on the
> windiw. That may look a bit strange though. I check for this.

This is another good place to use your voltmeter. Just see whether you're
getting voltage applied to the connection on the left side. The right side is
grounded.

> >Can you get the throttle to actuate it? I think you're missing a lever that you
> >need.
>
> I was mistaken. I tested the kick down and it doesn't work. If I'm going,
> say, 40mph and floor the gas pedal it should kick down to a lower gear
> right? If so, it doesn't.

To test the the circuit, turn the key ON then go to the engine compartment and
push the little button on the kickdown switch. If everything is working you'll
hear a click from inside the AT. Once you get the switch replaced with one with
the proper lever you can test that the same way, both from the rear turning the
throttle shaft by hand, and from the front by pushing down the pedal. In both
cases, just listen for the click from inside the AT.