Re: [T3] engine suggestions?

On 4 Jul 2003 at 0:23, Jamey Charlet wrote:

> I got my 70 Fasty for free: If I could get it running, I could have it. I've
> replaced the engine with a Bus engine for now, until I can get the original
> engine up to snuff. The problem is that the original engine sat for about four
> years without running.

Just sitting is generally not so much of a problem. The REAL problem is the
cause of WHY were they just left sitting. This seldom gets mentioned when a car
gets passed on to the next owner.

> When I drove it home (and lived to tell about it) there was lots of
> *white* exhaust. In a subsequent flushing of the engine, I scooped out
> the crud from the oil pan and was extremely dismayed to find lots of
> grit.

Yeah, the grit would be disturbing. It could just be carbon left from a long
habit of not cleaning out the strainer, or it could be alum oxide/magnesium
oxide in the case from corrosion from water condensation inside the engine over
the years. Either way, I think it would be worthwhile to pull the whole thing
apart and go thru it carefully.

> Here's what I know about the engine: Dual Dellortos, aftermarket 87s for
> cylinders, and an extra big oil pan. Are the aftermarket cylinders too big for
> the engine, and should I replace the main bearings? Is this engine too far gone,
> or can Frankenstein live? I look forward to getting the original engine in so
> that I can close the lid!

If the 87mm pistons are "drop-ins" then I'd toss them and get something better.
Stock 85.5s would even be better. As for the main bearings, you can tell a lot
by just looking at them. Worn ones are obvious. Also inspect the bearing
support webs: If there is a raised metal ridge in the center then the case
should be align bored. I would also vote for case savers regardless. Send it to
RIMCO and let them make it good for you. It's cheap, compared to the
alternatives.