Re: [T3] Red Wire

On 3 Jul 2003 at 17:50, Gary Gamboa wrote:

> The black wire that was coming from the left side of the kickdown switch was
> misconnected to the red wire going to the firweall, (this red wire was paired in
> a sleeve with the green wire coming from the oil pressure switch). I removed the
> black wire and connected the unattached red wire from the AAr to the red
> connector going to the FW.

Okay, sounds right. Did you check to see that this red/red wire now has 12V on
it ONLY when the engine is running? Does your idle come down now, as the engine
warms up?

> The black wire coming in from the the FW, backup light switch, was
> misconnected to the black wire coming from the left side of the coil, with 8 amp
> fuse. I reconnected this to the unused connector for the backup lights and rear
> window defogger. Viola! My backup lights are now working!

Good again, except that this doesn't serve the rear window defogger. I just
noticed a couple of days ago that this was incorrect in the Bentley. The
defogger power comes right off the voltage regulator and over to the relay,
both of which are right under the back seat.

> The black wire coming  from the left side of the coil, with 8 amp fuse, was now
> open to connect to the left terminal of the kick-down switch. Kick-down does
> work.

Can you get the throttle to actuate it? I think you're missing a lever that you
need.

> I did discover a single black wire in the main harness on the left that was cut
> and hiding under the sleeve. I will need to trace this.

If it comes out with the other wires for the generator, I think it's one of the
computer diagnosis wires. Now it goes nowhere.

> P.S. If I'm not mistaken, the wiring for my car seems to straddle both
> diagrams. The door jamb date on my car is 05/71. Is it possible to have
> characteristics from both wiring diagrams?

Yes, I think there were some mid-year changes in 71.