RE: [T3] water issue-resolved?

On 1 Jul 2003 at 17:17, Kevin Guarnotta wrote:

> are you sure it was just glued to the face of the door? in the bentley
> manual it appears to be inside the door. look at section 9 pg 23.

Yes, I'm sure. You can see the remains of the old cement all around the inside
face (inside meaning facing the inside of the car) of the door. I agree, that
photo doesn't show the edges of the plastic sheet, but it should.

914s came the same way except that they had an extra plastic flap sealed to the
main piece. I'm sure it was more expensive, but didn't work any better.

> if it is just on the face-if not glued properly/ie sealed doesn't
> water end up running between the plastic and the door straight to the
> floor-in those heavy rains...

Right, it really has to be glued/sealed all around. I use rubber cement or
Gasgacinch to glue it back in place. You don't want to use anything too good,
so you can peel it back again the next time you need to get in there.

You can replace this plastic sheet with a good grade of plastic sheeting like
that used in houses for vapor barrier. If you are careful you can make very
nice duplicates of the OE pieces, which came with holes for the inside latch
release lever and the window winder.