Re: [T3] Type 34 styling [was: Driving a 34]

Jim Adney wrote:

> The styling similarity with the type 34 has always struck me as amazing, but we
> have to admit that Chevy did it before VW. People who know automotive styling
> trends better than I can probably point to examples earlier than the Corvair,
> however. These may all trace back to the Italian Ghia stylists.

I've done some research on this, and I think the Corvair design had few
precedents. It was a strong influence on European auto design in the early 60s as
evidenced not only by the Type 34 but also the NSU Prinz, Fiat 1300, and Hillman
Imp, to name a few. There's a little Corvair in the pronounced beltline of 60s
BMWs too. Road & Track magazine even printed an opinion piece in 1962 complaining
about Corvair design knock-offs (including the 34).

The Type 34 was designed at a time when Ghia and Chrysler stylists were still
working closely together (under the direction of Virgil Exner, Chrysler's styling
chief until 1961), and so there are also a lot of similarites between Chrysler
products of the early 60s and the Type 34. Take a good look at the 1961 Plymouth
and you'll see a strong family resemblance. It's the Type 34's ugly sister.

The designers of the BMW 1600/2002 must have been familiar with the Type 34. The
similarity is not only in details like the taillights, but also the overall
proportions and scale. It's no wonder many people mistake the 34 for a BMW.

Scott
62 343, 65 361