[T3] free lists (was Re: [T3] T34 registry)

> I know their are people on this FREE list that are also PAYING to be on

	Well, this list is free except for the twenty bucks per month and
the yearly domain name registration fee that show up on my Discover
bill...

then, these services were more expensive -- something like $700/year, give
or take.  I was a student at the time, with no real income at all to speak
of, and listees ponied up money (donations anywhere from $5 to $100+ per
person!) to cover the costs on a couple of our "fund drives".

	Well, at about $20/month now, and me not being a student, I've
kind of slid on the whole "fund drive" thing... and to tie in to another
theme on this thread, my wife has been... "tolerant" of the monthly
charges for the list.

	Even so, I still think of myself as sort of a steward of
vwtype3.org and the list, and of the domain name as at least semi-communal
property.  For example, I try to make the meager Web pages and the list
seem less like "Greg's Type III stuff" and more like general Type III
resources.

	If anybody would like to pitch in, the easiest/best way is to do
it via paypal at gregm@vwtype3.org... eventually my family is gonna break
down and demand cable TV, and the first thing they're gonna do is look to
"recover" the $20/mo going toward list services to help cover it...! ;)

	Still, though, the way I conceive of this particular list is that
donations are only to be just that -- voluntary donations.  No eager and
willing participant is to be excluded due to financial reasons -- even if
that reason simply has to do with being a cheapskate. ;)

-Greg Merritt
'69 Squareback