Re: [T3] Generator Brush wear

On 29 Jan 2003 at 4:17, Mike Wodkowski wrote:

> > You can R & R the generator without taking that nut off, and the shop you take
> > it to will just use an air wrench on it. Just make sure they put it back
> > together without disturbing the shims in there.
>
> Yeah but don't I need to be able to pull the pulley apart to change and
> properly tighten the belt?

Our generator belts don't have to be very tight. They are just fine running a
bit looser than most people are used to. This is basically because the 30A
generator doesn't need the belt to transmit that much power. I find that I
never have to readjust a belt's tension. A new belt (if it's the right size)
will usually fit right in without adjusting, but some will vary.

In general, adjusting the tension is a real pain, but it only has to be done
rarely. If I have to do one, I use an open end wrench, held in there at an
angle, and a box end wrench for the nut.

> What does R&R mean?

In this context it means remove and replace.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org