From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 2:43 PM
To: Type 3 Mailing List
Subject: Re: [T3] Muffler ID

On 28 Jan 2003 at 9:10, Hal Sullivan wrote:

> I suppose it's *possible* that it was replaced in the two years between
the
> original owner and me, but I'd be very surprised .. things just don't rust
> out here (unless you live on the coast)

It's clearly true that everything, inculding exhausts, will rust out faster
in
areas that have winter weather and use salt. But that only affects the rust
on
the outside of the system. Exhaust systems are exposed to moisture from
combustion on the inside and the heat makes any chemical reaction go faster.

Any muffler bought thru the VW distribution network would have the VW logo
stamped into it, not just the original ones. I think the much more likely
explanation is that this was replaced a couple of times over the years, but
it
didn't make much of an impression and was simply forgotten. This is typical
of
how most owners treat their cars. I realize that THIS group is anything but
typical, but relying on the word and memory of someone who really doesn't
think
about it the same way we do is not all that reliable.

If you guys in Sandy Eggo and Phoenix think your mufflers really last more
than
30 years, then consider the fact that it is unlikely that there are ANY
muffler
shops in your area that you would know of. There just wouldn't be enough
business to keep more than 1 or 2 going in the whole city.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org