Re: [T3] Carb Balancing Revelation

On 26 Jan 2003 at 23:14, Mark Seaton wrote:

> I just thought I'd let you all in on a new and very good way of
> balancing your carbs (if you have carbs!) Throw out your unisyn's,
> forget your ears, the way to most precisely balance your carbs is not
> by air flow, but by manifold pressure ( or vacuum) For a while now I
> had been wondering if we could make use of the balance tube ports on
> our carbs to balance them, as opposed to the air flow, converted to
> pressure by a unisyn etc.

I think this sounds like a terrific idea.

The best way to do this would be to get a sensitive differential pressure gauge
and hook it up between the 2 sides. There is a brand of these that I always
have a hard time remembering: Helicoflex, or something that starts with Heli-

That way you just have to watch one gauge, and keep the needle centered.

For those of you with the dual balance pipe connections on each side, you may
want to think hard about which pair to choose. I think 1 & 3, or 2 & 4, but not
the diagonal combinations, because of the firing order (which is also the
intake stroke order.)

You mentioned that one side of your engine fell more quickly than the other. I
wonder if this is a sign of a worn or misadjusted linkage.