Re: [T3] Spark plug colour

> I know this has been discussed before, but I just checked my plugs after a
> long pleasant drive. The 2 electrodes and the porcelain are completely
> uncoloured- totally clean- maybe just a tad light tan, but the outside of
> the plug shows light sooty deposits. What could this mean?

> they looked better quality than the bosch, but I guess a plugs a plug.

I don't agree that a plug's a plug.   The Bosch are good;  the only experience I
have with NGK was they lasted 20,000 miles in an '82 VW Polo without even being
looked at.  I only changed them as I felt guilty!  Lean burn engine, not many
miles at the time of fitting (previous owner just before selling).  Could be a
different heat grade than the Bosch ones - that may depend on the sort of
driving you do with it.  I would be happier to see some colouration - light
straw is often the description.  Remember when our cars came out, some not very
old cars on the roads were de-coked every 20,000 miles or less!

Feel the exhaust gas - feel hot, medium or cool?  Hot probably means too lean.
Yes, it sounds like an April 1st joke, but a local VW expert demonstrated it at
a club workshop session, and it really was possible to notice the difference
when he adjusted the carb!  Can anyone with good temp sensing equipment do a
check to see if this is rubbish, or just auto-suggestion.  ;-)

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/
------