Re: [T3] Crunchy steering?

On 23 Jan 2003 at 10:39, Jeff Vier wrote:

> I think that some Bad Stuff happened to my steering system in my '67
> Squareback today.  I pulled up to parallel park, and as I rolled back
> and turned the wheel, it made a 'chunk!' sound, and suddenly the
> steering was all crunchy.

I'd check 3 things:

Look under the dash and make sure that all the column mounting bolts are tight.

Look under the gas tank and check the rubber coupling ring to see if it has
fallen apart.

Look around the coupling ring to see if any wiring, etc has gotten caught in
the rotating coupling.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org