Re: [T3] torque converter seal

On 21 Jan 2003 at 6:57, Vlach, Joe -CKHS wrote:

> Thanks to Phil, I now have a good torque converter.  Thanks to time and
> weather I went to put it in this weekend; however, after I pulled the old
> t.c. seal out I realized there is a metal cap that seats the seal in the
> tranny end.

I've never had to replace one of these seals, but I have a NOS one on my shelf,
just in case. It is just a red rubber seal cast around a steel skeleton with
the usual garter spring. I've never noticed a "metal cap" but I wasn't looking
either.

Like someone else, I wonder if the cap you're seeing is part of the old seal,
or a part that someone made to adapt a different seal to work in your VW.