Re: [T3] my 12v generator shooting sparks after sitting 1 year!

On 21 Jan 2003 at 3:18, Kaz wrote:

> My generator is shooting sparks out the lower driver side of it and also
> these thin    (metalic?)      strips are coming out the back.   I want to
> know what should i do?

Rebuilt type 3 generators are available from any place that sells Bosch
automotive parts. There are also numerous independent automotive electric shops
which can repair your generator. In general, the longer you wait, the costlier
the repair will be.

The "strips" are probably just heavy paper insulating strips which are used as
insulators in there. Sparking is usually a sign of an out-of-round commutator,
or a brush that is worn out. Brushes which  no longer stick above the outer
edge of the brush guide are worn out and should be replaced. Not replacing a
worn out brush can and will destroy the commutator by excessive arcing, but I
can't tell from here whether your arcing is excessive. A small amount of arcing
is normal.

You don't have to move anything to check the lower brush for wear; you can just
look at the upper one and compare it with the lower one by feel.