Re: [T3] Update on fuel pump adjustment

On 21 Jan 2003 at 16:34, Ben Doughney wrote:

> I was talking to a friend from the VW club yesterday, and he said he used to
> run a 2180cc with 40mm Delortos off a Type 1 pump without any problems, so I
> wonder if it makes that much difference.

Personally, I can't imagine that it would make any difference at all, but once
I get a carb in hand I will be able to calculate how much difference it will
make.

I think the mistake most people are making is confusing pressure with flow.
While the type 3 pump may operate at a higher pressure, both pumps are capable
of exactly the same flow.

The only difference that the pressure will make is a small change in the
equilibrium gas level in the float bowl. If that turns out to be 5mm, then that
is significant. If it is 1/4mm then I doubt if anyone could tell the
difference. If it's somewhere in the middle, then we just get to continue
arguing about it.  ;-)

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org