Re: [T3] sustained idle problem

ChuckH=> I set both sides @ 1-1/2 turns
=> then leaned them just a little.

That's good procedure to start. What I've found, however, is that it's
usually not even close to right. Variations in parts, crud levels, etc.,
make it very rare that the mixture screws wind up set anywhere near the
same. And you can't tell much from the intake balance. This is a subtle
adjustment that requires very close attention and some experience, or at
least careful experimentation.

Did you actually rebuild one carb, or maybe just clean it up and change the
float needle valve? It's better to do any full rebuild on both carbs, so
they come back to spec together. They really need to be very close to
identical to perform right.

Tangential to your problem: if you haven't jetted the carbs for the 1641,
I'd recommend you consider it, as it will make a big difference in
performance. This is particularly true if you're working with 1500 carbs.

On that helper spring: Most of the springs for dual carbs that I've worked
with have been a little weaker than they ought to be, which I put down to
age. So we often see extra springs in the engine bay. The best place for
this is coming off the linkage on the right, down to the tin, parallel to
the stock one. You'll usually find a convenient loop in the tin there.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KG1600