Re: [T3] '66 fuel pump questions

On 17 Jan 2003 at 13:05, Russ wolfe wrote:

> I think 14mm is the maximum lift of the pump push rod while running.
> Another way, is to get the pushrod in the engine at max lift, bolt on
> the pump, then tighten the outer diaphram screws.

I was wrong, Russ is almost exactly right here.

The stroke of the pump is from 8mm to 13mm. They want you to tighten the
diaphram when it has been extended farther than it will ever go in actual use.

Setting it up at the max lift of 13mm, rather than at 14mm will probably work
for most people, but might give trouble for some if the car ever sees very cold
temps, where the diaphram might shrink a bit more.

I guess they're just trying to keep it from ever getting tight in there and
tearing.