[T3] 050 distributor

Has anyone had any experience with an 050 centrifugal advance dist? I think
they're meant for the old Porsche 356s which had 1600 engines, and were
designed to be set at 5deg adv at idle, 35 at high speed in a nice linear
progression- which sounds much better than a 009 that everyone hates so much
which only has 20 deg adv. It also sounds pretty good for our cars. The only
problem I can see is that they look rather tall and I'm not sure if they
will fit under the lid, but I have got a full set of nice Beru R/A screw on
lead ends now so it might. The reason I'm asking is because I'm still
worried about the way my engine runs- sometimes good- sometimes not- and
still pretty poor mpg. I took my dist apart (original vac and cent) and
cleaned it all up, but still it goes over 40 deg at high speed (not sure
what) if set to the recommended 7.5 deg adv at idle. Also I've noticed a
definite steppy quality to the adv progression with a timing light. I'm
thinking the springs are not right.
Any opinions most welcome,
Mark Seaton
'73 TA Orange Fastback, London