Re: [T3] '66 fuel pump questions

On 17 Jan 2003 at 13:05, Russ wolfe wrote:

> I think 14mm is the maximum lift of the pump push rod while running.
> Another way, is to get the pushrod in the engine at max lift, bolt on
> the pump, then tighten the outer diaphram screws.

I think you're supposed to tighten down the diaphram while the pushrod is in
the MIDDLE of its stroke. That minimizes the stress on the diaphram as it moves
equally above and below the point where it was fastened.

I'll have to check my manuals to verify this. I'm pretty sure they give the max
and min as well as the setting height. Those figures were the same for ALL air
cooled VWs, weren't they, Russ?

Living in FI land, I just never paid any attention to this. Just another
annoying complication of carbs.  ;-)