Re: [T3] Fuel pump not going.

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:00:08 -0600, Jim Adney wrote:

>On 15 Jan 2003 at 10:16, Mark Healey wrote:
>
>> I decided to back trace the voltage with a buzzer to findout what was
>> wrong.  I didn't have to go very far.  I put it in the connector for
>> the fuel pump and it went BEEP when I turned the key, so I'm calling
>> the fuel pump broken.
>
>It is VERY unusual for a pump to just suddenly stop working, after it has been
>working fine on a regular basis. I've never heard of a single such instance,
>although Russ may have.
>
>It seem much more likely that you're mistaking the results of your test.

Interesting story.  It turns out you can't hear the pump from inside
the car when it is out of gas.  I put gas in and it leaked like a
sieve.  Appearantly it was leaking when the car wasn't running because
I know I had a 1/4 tank of gas when I parked it.

Fortunately I had another pump that I forgot about in the box
of parts that the PO gave me when I bought the car.  Since the tank
was empty I dediced it was a good time to replace the fuel lines down
there too.

I also decided to move the filter to the engine compartment.  It is
just easier to change when it is there.

Mark Healey
71 FI auto square
71 FI manual square