Re: [T3] T4 auto transmission

On 15 Jan 2003 at 11:12, Thomas Ainlay wrote:

> Actually yes.  I'm thinking about buying a 412 that runs well and has a
> reportedly good tranny.  My fastback is the one that had an engine fire.
> The tranny is now blackened and probably had some damage from the heat.  I
> would rather use the 412 engine and trans as a combo then mess around with
> the one I have now.

An engine fire would produce mostly just cosmetic damage to the tranny case,
and most of the tranny is pretty far away from where the fire was (on top of
the engine.) One thing you could do would be to pull out the torque converter
and look at the seal. If there is any sign of melting of the rubber then that
part got hot, but I'd be willing to bet that you won't see any signs of
trouble.