Re: [T3] snow chains?

On 1/14/03 4:52 PM, "Greg Merritt" <gregm@vwtype3.org> wrote:

> We're planning a little trip up into the sierra nevadas, and snow
> chains are often required when the weather turns a bit foul.  I drove a

Greg, your square will work beautifully in the Sierras.  I remember as a kid
going up there in our family's '67 square to Squaw Valley for ski trips.
And we used to use regular old link chains on it all the time (those Sierras
can be more nasty than the Midwesterners here can imagine).  You will want
to get a couple sets of tighteners.  And make sure you have a repair link or
two and the tools to put one on, just in case.  You won't want to go faster
than about 30mph.  This will save the chains and your tires.  Oh, Caltrans
does NOT use salt. :)  You might see sand, though.  One more thing: make
sure the wipers work well.  The snow can get very thick and heavy up there.

My dad might still have in his garage the set of chains that we used on the
old Squareback.  If you want, let me know and I'll ask him (he lives close
to us).

-Mark Fuhriman