[T3] snow chains

In the list Greg wrote:
   Do people have suggestions re: types of chains (are there
different types?), fitting them, and driving on them?  Do I need them
both
front and rear?  Any reason I might prefer taking a stickshift car
instead
of the AT Squareback?

        Oh -- and do they salt the roads in California...?!?

Here in the northeast we get our fair share of snow. While driving up
mountains may be a little tricky, I respectfully advise against snow
chains. While getting the size to fit your ride won't be a problem, I
have known chains to break or come off from not being properly
installed. When this happens the results are never pretty( most of the
damage is done to the outside of the fender instead of the wheel well.)
Never put chains on the front! Steering becomes impossible. And go for
the stick shift. Its easier to get out of snowbanks with the shift.
Do they salt roads in California? Beats me but a real good
undercarridge  wash should take care of most of it.
P.S. Rust sucks. keep it in the garage.