[T3] Fw: Re: [T3] Front suspension play

From: "Earthman?" <human@binauralaboratories.net>
To: "Keith Park" <topnotch@nycap.rr.com>

--this was meant for the list too, sorry for doubling up on you Keith..--

> the front end FAQ

Can't find such a title on www.vwtype3.org, somewhere else? (look harder?) I'll surf
about and pick through the web.

>For ball joints, inspect the rubber boots. Your ball joints are probably fine
>as long as the boots are intact.

The boots are intact, though they're by no means pretty. Obviously past their prime, and
one is bound at the base with bailing wire...

>If it's only on one side then it's NOT the upper torsion bar

The play is on both sides, I just had to try harder for the driver side to loosen up..
now they're even. I feel about a mm of play at the joint, so I'm hopeful that nothing has
been pounded on too bad.

>Incidentally, when I installed the beam, I failed to observe the correct geometery of
>one of the rubber bushings

Now I feel like a dolt! I had a better look, and they are both installed deep side to the
passenger compartment..  I've made a note not to study the car hastily while it is
raining & cold. Measure twice, again..    again...

I hearby swear to measure twice before I think, and think twice before I write!  :)

It would appear that things are elementary from here on out, my many thanks to you all!

C.Rochambeau 327/1600
http://binauralaboratories.net
~electronic manipulation's our specialty~