Re: [T3] T3PBO ... take 2

On 13 Jan 2003 at 16:25, Dave Hall wrote:

> Allowing 10 minutes a car for the colour coat(s) you would need 6 lines to get a
> through-put of 1000 Type 3s in a 24 hour day, and another 24 lines for the
> Beetles!  I would guess there were several booths set up for the popular colours
> and maybe just 1 or 2 for the less common ones.

VERY good point. I guess my mind just has difficulty expanding to this level of
production. It would certainly make sense for them to have one or more paint
lines for each color. I guess our last remaining question is whether type 3 and
type 4s went thru the same booths as type ones.

My guess would be that they didn't. The differences in body styles, and the
fixturing they each required, especially for the type 4s, would require
different painting techniques from the painters. I think we would be better off
if the same people did the same body style day after day, although this would
certainly get boring for the painters.