Re: [T3] T3PBO ... take 2

Wolfsburg has many parallel final assembly lines - I guess it wouldn't be too
much trouble to have several painting lines too, but they don't allow visits to
the paint-shop so I've never seen them.  As you've pointed out in the past,
production line photos in brochures are unreliable as they may be organised
photo-shoots, but I've a brochure photo here (for the '72 411LE) with 6 parallel
lines each with about a dozen Type 3s and three Type 4s at the front of another
line of mixed Type 3s/4s (not all visible due to building pillars etc) but there
appears to be a mix of colours in each line (I've scanned it - will get it
posted some time in the next few hours).  Another brochure shows half a dozen
Marina blue Type 3s.

Allowing 10 minutes a car for the colour coat(s) you would need 6 lines to get a
through-put of 1000 Type 3s in a 24 hour day, and another 24 lines for the
Beetles!  I would guess there were several booths set up for the popular colours
and maybe just 1 or 2 for the less common ones.

I don't know if they mixed Beetles and Type 3s in the paint booths, but it's
possible as Type 3 colours were a sub-set of the full Wolfsburg range (Buses and
Ghias had some special colours plus some of the standard ones).

What price a time machine?  ;-)

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/